Judy Smetzer Just Culture Champion Scholarships
ISMP will award three scholarships for the next calendar year to individuals or teams from an organization, in cooperation with The Just Culture Company, to participate in a 15-hour Just Culture certification course, along with access to supplemental learning software and materials.
Achieving certification helps individuals and teams advance fair accountability and system improvements, especially in the field of patient safety. Participants learn how to manage the behavioral choices of their staff, design better systems, reduce risk, and build a values-based culture.
These scholarships will be awarded in honor of Judy Smetzer, BSN, RN, FISMP, former vice president at ISMP who retired in 2022.
For an individual or group/team to be considered for a scholarship, they must:
- Be working currently in the field of healthcare in any setting
- Applicants from human resources, healthcare administrations, clinical leadership, quality/safety/risk management, and academic faculty are encouraged to apply
- Have at least 3 years of fulltime experience working in healthcare (students are not eligible)
- Possess knowledge of the basic tenets of a Just Culture
- Exhibit strong commitment to design/redesign systems to prevent patient harm and to judge individuals based on the quality of the behavioral choices under their control
- Obtain a commitment to a Just Culture from at least one executive leader in their primary organization
Applicants must submit an online application and upload the following four (4) documents by July 31, 2022:
- Cover letter demonstrating your knowledge of the basic tenets of a Just Culture, your qualifications, and your interest in Just Culture as well as your plans to utilize the Just Culture education and certification
- Resume or curriculum vitae (CV)
- Just Culture Leadership Declaration signed by your organization's executive leader
- Three professional references who can speak about your knowledge and/or application of a Just Culture
Applicants will be notified by October 15, 2022 for scholarships awarded in 2023. The names of the scholarship recipients will be announced publicly during our annual ISMP Cheers Awards celebration on December 6, 2022.
Questions? Contact us.