Safe Medication Management Fellowships
Online application now available!
Application deadline: March 31, 2023
ISMP Fellowships are a challenging and rewarding experience offering a clear enhancement to career growth. ISMP Fellows have a unique opportunity to make a tangible difference in medication safety, and find new medication safety opportunities in healthcare systems, regulatory agencies, the pharmaceutical industry, and ISMP. Graduates of the program have been sought for employment in medication safety positions in healthcare systems, regulatory agencies, the pharmaceutical industry, and ISMP. After their year with ISMP, Fellows are well equipped to become leaders in the fight to prevent medication errors and adverse events, regardless of the practice area they choose.
ISMP’s Safe Medication Management Fellowship is a one-year program beginning each July. The Fellowship offers healthcare professionals the unparalleled opportunity to learn from and work with some of the nation's top experts in medication safety. For over two decades, ISMP Fellows have gone on to make major contributions to medication safety worldwide.
The FDA/ISMP Safe Medication Management Fellowship is a joint effort between ISMP and the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Office of Surveillance and Epidemiology, Divisions of Medication Error Prevention and Analysis I and II (DMEPA I & II). The FDA/ISMP Fellow spends six months with ISMP, and six months with the FDA. This Fellowship provides a perfect opportunity to gain valuable regulatory experience and learn about the most current approaches to advancing medication safety and error prevention.
Candidate Qualifications for All Fellowships
- Legally eligible to work in the United States (ISMP does not offer visa sponsorship)
- Healthcare professional with at least one year of postgraduate experience working in a healthcare setting
- Pharmacists and physicians who have completed a residency program and nurses with risk management, quality improvement, or patient safety experience are eligible to apply
- Students who have not worked at least one year as a pharmacist, nurse, or physician are not eligible to apply
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Dedicated individual with a strong commitment to improving medication safety, the ability to work in a fast paced and often-changing environment, and a high comfort level with working independently or in a collaborative process
- Additional requirement for the FDA/ISMP Safe Medication Management Fellowship: Applicants must have received their degree within the last sixty (60) months (5 years)
- Relocation is not required; however, in-person meetings may be required as frequently as monthly, and the Fellow is responsible for their own travel expenses
How to Apply
Applicants must submit the following to be considered:
- Online application
- Cover letter expressing interest in Fellowship
- Curriculum vitae/resume
- Professional and/or academic letters of reference
- Three references required for ISMP Fellow
- One reference required for FDA/ISMP Fellow
- College transcripts
*Candidates interested in applying to the ISMP Fellowships and FDA/ISMP Fellowships must apply to each position.