Guidelines for Safe Medication Use in Perioperative and Procedural Settings
ISMP's Guidelines for Safe Medication Use in Perioperative and Procedural Settings were developed to support hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, and other procedural locations in addressing identified national gaps in perioperative and procedural medication safety, including implementation of organization-specific action plans to reduce harmful patient events. Key Elements of these Guidelines include:
- Patient Information
- Drug Information
- Communication of Drug Orders and Other Drug Information
- Drug Labeling, Packaging, and Nomenclature
- Drug Standardization, Storage, and Distribution
- Medication Delivery Device Acquisition, Use, and Monitoring
- Environmental Factors, Workflow, and Staffing Patterns
- Staff Competency and Education
- Patient Education
- Quality Processes and Risk Management
How to cite: Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP). ISMP Guidelines for Safe Medication Use in Perioperative and Procedural Settings. ISMP; 2022.
Access this Free Resource
You must be logged in to view and download this document.
Not Yet Registered?
Identify best practices to support safe use of technology and automation in sterile compounding.
Consensus-based best practices for issues that continue to cause fatal and harmful errors.
Developed in 2020 to help healthcare facilities standardize smart infusion pump technology.