ISMP Medication Safety Alert!®
Action Agendas-Ambulatory Care
Every four months, ISMP identifies selected items from the ISMP Medication Safety Alert! Community/Ambulatory newsletter and publishes an Action Agenda for you and your organization. The Action Agenda is intended to stimulate discussion and collaborative action as you begin the process of reducing and preventing medication errors.
Utilization of the action agenda to review externally reported errors combined with review and analysis of internally reported events constitutes a feasible and effective Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) program.
Agenda topics include a brief description of the medication safety problem, recommendations to reduce the risk of errors, and the newsletter issue number to locate additional information as desired.
A typical use of the Medication Safety Alert! Action Agenda would be to:
- Convene staff to discuss actionable items
- Assess the likelihood of similar safety risks at your site
- Complete the “Organization Assessment” and “Action Required/Assignment” sections
- Identify safety strategies to implement in your organization
- When action is required, set a reasonable time for completion
- Reconvene to review success of implementation plan and modify strategies as needed