Medication Safety Intensive
This highly praised Medication Safety Intensive (MSI) workshop is offered three times each year. It is a unique two-day program led by ISMP faculty and other selected medication safety experts who, based on their own real-world experiences in establishing and evaluating medication safety programs, help you maximize your effectiveness in meeting today’s medication safety challenges.
You will learn how to look at your organization through the eyes of the world’s leading safety experts and regulatory agencies, focusing efforts on medication-related issues that impact patient safety. You will engage in group discussions, participate in hands-on practice in error analysis, evaluate latent and active failures related to medication errors, learn how to effectively select high-leverage strategies, and use data from technology to help sustain safety efforts within your organization.
Upon completion of the workshop, you will be armed with the specific knowledge and tools needed to be successful in establishing an aggressive, focused medication safety program and the associated infrastructure for continued safety improvements.
Practitioners in acute care with responsibility for medication safety oversight including:
- Medication Safety and Patient Safety Officers/Managers
- Risk and Quality Improvement Professionals
- Directors of Pharmacy and Nursing
- Clinical Leads/Nurse Managers
- Chief Medical Officers
Following completion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Perform system-based medication error analysis.
- Develop error-reduction strategies around the use of high-alert medications.
- Utilize various data collection methods to identify medication risk.
- Discuss the role and responsibilities of the medication safety officer or individual(s) responsible for medication safety oversight.
- Identify tools available to support medication safety initiatives.
- Measure the effectiveness of error-reduction strategies that have been implemented.
- Identify human error, at-risk behavior, and reckless behaviors from case studies.
- Describe change management principles applicable to medication safety.
- Network with other practitioners to safely problem solve and share learning.
Upcoming Medication Safety (MSI) Workshop Dates:
November 30 & December 1, 2018
Costa Mesa, CA
- 7:30 am - 7:50 am- Sign-in and Continental Breakfast
- 7:50 am - 8:15 am- Welcome and Introductions
- 8:15 am - 4:30 pm- Program
- 7:30 am - 7:50 am- Continental Breakfast
- 7:50 am - 3:00 pm- Program
Each workshop will feature speakers drawn from our distinguished faculty:
Kelly Besco, PharmD, FISMP, CPPS
Medication Safety Officer
Elizabeth Wade, PharmD, BCPS
Matthew Grissinger, RPh, FISMP, FASCP
Director, Error Reporting Programs
Annie Yang, PharmD, BCPS, FISMP
Asst. Director of Medication Safety and Quality
NYU Langone Medical Center
New York City, NY
Susan Paparella, MSN, RN
Lorraineá Williams, PharmD
Patient and Medication Safety Officer
Cook Children’s Healthcare System
Fort Worth, TX
Early Registration: $1,025.00
(up to 21 days before each program date)
Regular Registration: $1,195.00
(20 days or less before each program date)
Educational Review Systems is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) as a provider of continuing pharmaceutical education. This program is approved for up to 12 hours (1.2 CEUs) of continuing pharmacy education. Statement of credit will be emailed within 4 to 6 weeks to participants who have successfully completed the post-test. Participants must participate in the entire presentation and complete the course evaluation to receive continuing pharmacy education credit. This program has been assigned the Universal Program Number 0761-9999-17-001-L05-P, 0761-9999-17-001-L05-T. Educational Review Systems is also approved for pharmacy continuing education by the state of Florida. Nursing continuing education provider is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing. This program has been assigned the Universal Program Number CEP 13677 and is approved for 12 contact hours (1.2 CEUs) of continuing nursing education.
Cancellations for the MSI must be received in writing by email, mail, or fax. Cancellations will be subject to a $100.00 processing fee for all cancellation requests received in writing at least 7 days prior to the start of the workshop. No refunds will be made after this time. If you plan to send someone else in your place, please notify ISMP prior to arrival.
In the unlikely event that ISMP must change the date or location of the program and a registrant is no longer able to attend as a result of the change, ISMP is responsible only for a refund of the registration fee and is not responsible for any airfare, hotel, or other costs incurred by the registrant.