Medication Safety Alert! November 15, 2018
In this week's issue:
- Part II: Survey Results Suggest Action is Needed to Improve Safety with Adult IV Push Medications
- Is it really saline?
- Find and minimize your IV push safety gaps with NEW ISMP Tool
- Opioid legislation has new packaging provisions
- Filtering EPINEPHrine withdrawn from glass ampuls?
Problem: In our November 1, 2018 newsletter, we shared the findings from a recent 2018 ISMP survey of 977 practitioners (mostly nurses) on adult intravenous (IV) push medication practices and compared these results to related ISMP surveys conducted between 2010 and 2014. The 2018 survey revealed five unsafe practices associated with IV push medications that have persisted or worsened in the past decade:
- Using prefilled syringes or cartridges as vials (withdrawing some or all medication from the prefilled syringe or cartridge into another syringe for administration)
- Diluting adult IV push...