ISMP Newsletter Celebrates 20th Anniversary
This year the Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP) is celebrating two decades of publishing the ISMP Medication Safety Alert!® newsletter, the nation’s only publication reaching nearly every U.S. hospital with vital and potentially lifesaving information on medication and device errors. The ISMP newsletter also recently reached another remarkable milestone, publishing its 500th issue in December 2015.
ISMP launched the biweekly acute care newsletter on January 15, 1996. Over the years, it has shared hundreds of stories about actual errors submitted to the National Medication Errors Reporting Program (MERP) as well as recommendations for multidisciplinary prevention strategies.
Some of the newsletter’s many accomplishments include:
- Distributing nationwide hazard alerts on urgent emerging safety issues
- Bringing about organizational system and individual practice changes through its Action Agendas
- Advocating for essential changes to drug and device packaging, labeling, and nomenclature
- Helping secure revisions to national safety guidelines, standards, and goals
- Publishing results of surveys on key topics such as drug shortages.
ISMP will run a capsule in each 2016 newsletter issue that highlights changes that have taken place over the last 20 years to improve medication safety.