Volume 21, Issue 23
Medication Safety Alert! November 17, 2016
In this week's issue:
- Is an Indication-Based Prescribing System in our Future?
- Lantus overdose tied to confusing vial label
- Vecuronium and vancomycin vial mix-ups
- Harm or death from phenytoin injection medication errors
- More on lipid rescue
- U-500 insulin syringes now available
- 2016-2017 ISMP Fellows
- Staley Lawes, PharmD, BCPS; 2016-2017 ISMP Safe Medication Management Fellow, supported in part by Baxter, Novartis Pharmaceuticals, and Fresenius Kabi
- Maximilian Straka, PharmD; 2016-2017 FDA/ISMP Safe Medication Management Fellow
- Celeste Karpow, PharmD; 2016-2017 FDA/ISMP Safe Medication Management Fellow
In the July 28, 2016, issue of The New England Journal of Medicine , Schiff et al. 1 provide a compelling argument in favor of incorporating indications into the medication ordering process. A longtime proponent (along with ISMP and other organizations) of including the purpose of medications on...