Volume 21, Issue 9
Medication Safety Alert! May 5, 2016
In this week's issue:
- Hardwiring Safety into the Computer System: One Hospital's Actions to Provide Technology Support for U-500 Insulin
- Fifty hospital employees given insulin instead of influenza vaccine
- Reminder: Eliminating ratio expressions
- Methotrexate - metolazone mix-ups
- Strength confusion. (new cystic fibrosis treatment - Orkambi)
- Your Reports at Work: New brand name for vortioxetine.
As the obesity epidemic continues and insulin resistance problems worsen, larger doses of insulin are more frequently required to meet glycemic goals in patients with diabetes. This has led to an increase in the use of U-500 insulin when dose requirements exceed 200 units per day. Given the lack of...