Volume 22, Issue 13
Medication Safety Alert! June 29, 2017
In this week's issue:
- The Texting Debate: Beneficial Means of Communication or Safety and Security Risk?
- 20th Annual ISMP Cheers Awards (submit nominations)
- Carfentanil can present danger to staff treating overdose victims
- ON-Q pump for nerve block attached to IV line
- Don't abbreviate drug names
- ISMP Survey on Texting Medical Orders (complete by August 31, 2017)
The debate regarding whether healthcare providers should be allowed to send orders via text messages continues in healthcare. Technology-savvy healthcare professionals have embraced the convenience and usefulness of this 21st century form of communication, while opponents feel it is too informal to...