Medication Safety Alert! June 29, 2017
In this week's issue:
- The Texting Debate: Beneficial Means of Communication or Safety and Security Risk?
- 20th Annual ISMP Cheers Awards (submit nominations)
- Carfentanil can present danger to staff treating overdose victims
- ON-Q pump for nerve block attached to IV line
- Don't abbreviate drug names
- ISMP Survey on Texting Medical Orders (complete by August 31, 2017)
The debate regarding whether healthcare providers should be allowed to send orders via text messages continues in healthcare. Technology-savvy healthcare professionals have embraced the convenience and usefulness of this 21st century form of communication, while opponents feel it is too informal to properly document patient care and worry about data security and the potential impact on patient safety. Both sides of the debate offer compelling viewpoints, making it a challenge to promulgate best practices.
Even The Joint Commission (TJC) has wavered on the topic. In 2011, the accrediting...