Medication Safety Alert! July 26, 2018
In this week's issue:
- Students Have a Key Role in a Culture of Safety: Analysis of Student -Associated Medication Incidents
- Worth repeating...Flushing IV tubing with unrecognized residual drug leads to adverse effects
- Entire bottle of nitroglycerin given, again!
- Video on safety culture!
- New 2018-2019 ISMP Fellows
- Samantha (Sammy) Burton, PharmD, ISMP Safe Medication Management Fellow sponsored by Baxter International, Inc.
- Farzana Samad, PharmD, ISMP Safe Medication Management Fellow sponsored by Express Scripts Foundation
- Alexander (Alex) Shilman, PharmD, ISMP Safe Medication Management Fellow sponsored by the US Army.
- Your Reports at Work (label changes for Bridion)
Undergraduate and postgraduate students in healthcare fields are attempting to develop the skills required to deliver safe and effective patient care as future practitioners. As part of their training, most students are exposed to a variety of practice environments and direct patient care experiences to help prepare them for their eventual careers. This hands-on experience places students in a position to be involved in medication errors or to catch and prevent errors before they reach patients.
More than a decade ago, ISMP published an analysis of medication errors involving student nurses...