Medication Safety Alert! July 12, 2018
In this week's issue:
- Survey Results: Smart Pump Data Analytics - Pump Metrics that Should Be Monitored to Improve Safety
- DOBUTamine concentration mix-ups
- Wrong formulation for amphotericin B eye drops
- Confusion with error-prone abbreviation, tPA
- Acute Care Action Agenda (April - June 2018)
Between November 2017 and March 2018, ISMP conducted three surveys to learn about current practices with smart infusion pumps that have dose error-reduction software (DERS). Smart pumps can vastly improve medication safety by providing customizable libraries with dose limits and administration rates speciﬁc to medications and care areas. When the library is engaged, alerts can be generated when infusions are programmed outside these preset limits. The results of the first two surveys were published in our April 5, 2018 newsletter (Smart pumps in practice: Survey results reveal widespread use,...