Medication Safety Alert! January 14, 2016
In this week's issue:
- QuarterWatch™ (2015 Quarter 1 and 2 Report): Focus on a New Sleep Medication, Changing Opioid Use, and New Diabetes Medications
- ISMP Announces the Achievement of Two Remarkable Milestones
- 500 newsletters and still going strong
- 20-year anniversary of this newsletter
- A glimpse down memory lane starts today...
- January 31, 1996 newsletter: Amrinone-amiodarone mix-up leads to death
- Label characteristics contributes to errors (ARIPiprazole)
- IV fat emulsion needs a filter
- U-500 insulin pen arriving soon
The latest edition of ISMP’s QuarterWatch™ (see Box below) provides an overview of drug safety issues reflected in adverse drug events reported to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the first two quarters of 2015 (the latest data available for research). The report is based on combined FDA MedWatch data, but trends focus on 2015 quarter 2 reports. Based on these data, the report identifies:
- Signals for the new sleep medication suvorexant (BELSOMRA)
- Changes in opioid use, specifically a decline in HYDROcodone exposure and an increase in exposure to higher potency opioids
- Update on...