Medication Safety Alert! April 20, 2017
In this week's issue:
- QuarterWatch™ (2016 Quarter 3 Data) Depression and suicidal behaviors: Exploring the link with certain drugs; Serious injuries from aspirin
- Device-related kits may have medications that aren't FDA-approved
- Can wholesaler totes be a source of fungal contamination?
- Don't leave "Meds to Beds" prescription bags at beside
- Baxter makes smart pump library guide available
- "Ellipta" - it's not a drug
The latest issue of ISMP’s QuarterWatch™ provides a review of drug safety issues reflected in adverse drug events reported to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) during the third quarter (Q3) of 2016 and during the previous 12 months. In this report, we examine depression and suicidal thoughts or behaviors as an adverse effect of certain drugs, with a focus on three newer medications not intended to treat psychiatric disorders:
- Roflumilast (DALIRESP), used to reduce exacerbations in patients with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Apremilast (OTEZLA), used to treat...