ISMP is conducting a survey on smart infusion pumps (programmable pumps with dose error-reduction software) to gather information about current practices when using these devices. If you use smart pumps in your facility, please direct this survey to the individual most knowledgeable about implementation and current use of the smart pumps.
1. How long have you been using smart infusion pumps?
Less than 1 year
3 or more years
2. For which of the following activities do you use a wireless system? (select all that apply)
Updating drug libraries
Tracking pump locations
Don’t have a wireless system
3. How many times per year do you typically modify the drug library?
More than 4
4. Your drug library/profile selections are based on which criteria? (select all that apply)
Patient care area
Therapeutic drug class
5. For each patient care unit listed in the first column of the table, select the types of infusions for which you employ smart infusion pumps. Select Y (Yes) if you use smart pumps for the specified infusion; Select N (No) if you do not use smart infusion pumps for the specified infusions; Select NA (Not Applicable) if you do not administer the type of infusion on the specified unit, or if you do not have the specified unit in your facility.
6. For each type of drug infusion listed across the top of the table, please tell us how many concentrations exist in the drug library, and whether you employ a soft stop (can bypass dose warning), hard stop (cannot bypass dose warning), or no stop (no warning) if a maximum dose is exceeded when programming the pump.
7. How often do you review data from the smart infusion pumps?
Every 6 months
Data not reviewed
No data available
8. During the past 12 months, has your organization experienced pump programming errors associated with the following factors that have reached patients, despite using smart pumps?
Selection of a zero instead of a decimal point (e.g., 1.2 entered at 102)
b) Omission of a decimal point (e.g., 1.2 entered as 12, 1.0 entered as 10)
9. Please tell us how many licensed beds are in your facility.
Less than 100
More than 500
Copyright © 2017, ISMP. All rights reserved