Welcome to the ISMP Medication Safety Alert! Nurse Advise-ERR, a medication safety newsletter designed specifically to meet the needs of nurses who transcribe medication orders, administer medications, and monitor the effects of medications on patients. This monthly, two-four page newsletter will be offered FREE in 2014 to acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, community health clinics, surgical centers, and birthing centers, and to faculty at academic settings thanks to restricted grants from Baxter Healthcare and BD. Those who work in other settings can still purchase an individual subscription for $15 or a reduced-rate organizational subscription for $50. Regular features include detailed anonymous accounts of reported errors, checklists of evidence-based error reduction strategies, and short 'safety wires' that offer quick tips regarding safe medication practices. Free CEUs are available in July and January.
Click here to subscribe to the newsletter
In this month's issue:
- Getting closer to the bull's eye: 2014-2015 Targeted Medication Safety Best Practices
- Take our pediatric survey (www.surveymonkey.com/r/ISMP-peds)
- 40 years of learning and advocacy!
- Don't open PRADAXA capsules.
- Educational materials for measles outbreak.
- BRILINTA and BRINTELLIX mix-ups.
- Where did this come from? (medications not purchased by pharmacy found in hospital)
- ISMP webinar
- March 19: Evolution of Anticoagulants and Effects on Patient Safety
- For details, visit: www.ismp.org/sc?id=476.
- Unique 2-day program
- Attend one of the ISMP Medication Safety INTENSIVE workshops being held in 2015: Indianapolis on April 16-17; Bellevue (near Seattle) on September 17-18; and New Orleans on December 4-5. This workshop provides hands-on experiences with risk assessment, event investigation, error analysis, error-reduction strategies, measuring effectiveness, and more!
- For details, visit: www.ismp.org/educational/MSI.
- ISMP Fellowship
- Apply for the ISMP Medication Management Fellowship Programs. Applications for the 2015-2016 fellowships are due March 31, 2015.
- For details, visit: www.ismp.org/sc?id=484.
Nurse Advise-ERR® is offered free in 2014 to nurses who work in US acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, community health clinics, surgical centers, and birthing centers; and faculty at academic settings to allow for free redistribution to students, thanks to educational grants from Baxter Healthcare and BD. We encourage you to designate a primary subscriber in your organization who then redistributes it to as many nurses as possible in your healthcare system.
Back issues of the newsletter are available at: http://www.ismp.org/Newsletters/nursing/archive.aspx.
NOTE: To open, read, and print the PDF file, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. If you do not have the Reader, or you need to update it, click on this link (www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html) for a free download.
ATTENTION CANADIAN NURSES: ISMP Canada is pleased to distribute this newsletter to Canadian nurses. Please subscribe via this link: https://www.ismp-canada.org/advise-err.htm.