Welcome to the ISMP Medication Safety Alert! Nurse Advise-ERR, a medication safety newsletter designed specifically to meet the needs of nurses who transcribe medication orders, administer medications, and monitor the effects of medications on patients. This monthly, two-four page newsletter will be offered FREE in 2014 to acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, community health clinics, surgical centers, and birthing centers, and to faculty at academic settings thanks to restricted grants from Baxter Healthcare and BD. Those who work in other settings can still purchase an individual subscription for $15 or a reduced-rate organizational subscription for $50. Regular features include detailed anonymous accounts of reported errors, checklists of evidence-based error reduction strategies, and short 'safety wires' that offer quick tips regarding safe medication practices. Free CEUs are available in July and January.
Click here to subscribe to the newsletter
In this month's issue:
- Recommendations for practitioners to address system-based causes of vaccine errors (Part 2)
- Limit magnesium sulfate to 20 g bags
- Nitroglycerin injection shortage issue. (take a quick 3 question survey at: www.surveymonkey.com/s/nitroglycerin)
- SS (or SSc) - error-prone abbreviation.
- ACTIQ is not for sore throats!
- ISMP survey on dilution of IV push medications.
- ISMP Annual Fund
- The healthcare community would be very different without ISMP's existence over that last 20 years. (For a list of ISMP's many important contributions to safety, please visit: www.ismp.org/about/timeline.asp.) We depend on the caring individuals and organizations that passionately support our work. Your charitable donation to the Annual Fund will help keep ISMP an important part of the fight against preventable medication errors.
- To make a donation, go to: www.ismp.org/support.
- ISMP webinars
- Join us on September 18, 2014, for our webinar, Beyond Medication Error Reporting: A New Approach for Understanding Medication Safety Risk. During the webinar, participants will learn how to identify medication safety risks using methods beyond error reporting, including collection of proactive, concurrent, and retrospective data.
- Join us on October 23, 2014, for Smart Pump Integration: A Giant Step for IV Infusion Safety. This webinar will describe how smart pump integration can improve safety by linking the medication order directly to the infusion device, and prepopulating the pump with infusion parameters from the order, thereby eliminating programming errors.
- For details, please visit: www.ismp.org/educational/webinars.asp.
- Unique 2-day program
- Attend ISMP's Medication Safety INTENSIVE workshop in Nashville, TN on October 2-3. This workshop provides hands-on experiences with event investigation, risk analysis, error-reduction strategies, action planning, Just Culture, and more!
- For details, visit: www.ismp.org/sc?id=351.
Nurse Advise-ERR® is offered free in 2014 to nurses who work in US acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, community health clinics, surgical centers, and birthing centers; and faculty at academic settings to allow for free redistribution to students, thanks to educational grants from Baxter Healthcare and BD. We encourage you to designate a primary subscriber in your organization who then redistributes it to as many nurses as possible in your healthcare system.
Back issues of the newsletter are available at: www.ismp.org/Newsletters/nursing/archive.asp.
NOTE: To open, read, and print the PDF file, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. If you do not have the Reader, or you need to update it, click on this link (www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html) for a free download.
ATTENTION CANADIAN NURSES: ISMP Canada is pleased to distribute this newsletter to Canadian nurses. Please subscribe via this link: https://www.ismp-canada.org/advise-err.htm.