ISMP Mission and Vision Statement
To advance patient safety worldwide by empowering the healthcare community, including consumers, to prevent medication errors.
We accomplish this through our interdisciplinary efforts to:
- Collect and analyze reports of medication-related hazardous conditions, near-misses, errors, and other adverse drug events.
- Disseminate timely medication safety information, risk-reduction tools, and error-prevention strategies.
- Educate the healthcare community and consumers about safe medication practices.
- Collaborate with other patient safety organizations, educational institutions, governmental agencies and other healthcare stakeholders.
- Advocate the adoption of safe medication standards by accrediting bodies, manufacturers, policy makers, regulatory agencies, and standards-setting organizations.
- Conduct research to provide evidence-based safe medication practices.
To be the premier independent, patient safety organization leading the effort to prevent medication errors and adverse drug events.