Medication Safety Contest Winner
Job description for a medication safety practitioner
Covenant Health Systems
Position Title: Nurse Specialist -
The Nurse Specialist will act as a clinician to assess, coordinate
and provide patient care related to specialty; as an educator
to conduct opportunities for staff development and patient
education; as a consultant to serve as a resource to staff,
patients and other health care providers,: and as a researcher
to participate and conduct studies, review literature and
disseminate information to others.
Essential Values-Based Competencies'
Demonstrates value based competencies in line with the four
core values that are the foundation of all activities performed
by employees in order to achieve the Mission of the St. Joseph
Health System (see attached list of behavioral definitions):
Dignity: Demonstrates competence in communication and interpersonal
Excellence: Demonstrates competence in continuous improvement,
continuous learning, accountability and teamwork.
Service: Demonstrates competence in customer/patient focus
Justice: Demonstrates competence in community orientation
- Coordinates processes to improve/evaluate medication administration
through pharmacy, nursing, and the medical staff.
- Serves as liaison between nursing, pharmacy, and the medical
staff to ensure safe/standardized medication practices.
- Collaborates in the development of policy & procedures
through identification and/or revision with nursing, pharmacy,
and the medical staff.
- Designs & implements educational presentations, which
facilitates the attainment & maintenance of safe medication
practice standards within the organization.
- Promptly investigates medication errors based on severity
index/potential severity in order to improve staff performance
& patient care.
- Serves as a resource person by consulting with nursing/pharmacy
concerning professional & education problems related to
medication and/or medication safety.
- Analyzes nursing techniques and other medication processes
& recommends modifications.
- Coordinates with pharmacy/nursing/medical staff the trial
of new products, facilitating education and training.