Welcome to the ISMP Medication Safety Alert! Nurse Advise-ERR, a medication safety newsletter designed specifically to meet the needs of nurses who transcribe medication orders, administer medications, and monitor the effects of medications on patients. This monthly, two-four page newsletter will be offered FREE in 2014 to acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, community health clinics, surgical centers, and birthing centers, and to faculty at academic settings thanks to restricted grants from Baxter Healthcare and BD. Those who work in other settings can still purchase an individual subscription for $15 or a reduced-rate organizational subscription for $50. Regular features include detailed anonymous accounts of reported errors, checklists of evidence-based error reduction strategies, and short 'safety wires' that offer quick tips regarding safe medication practices. Free CEUs are available in July and January.
Click here to subscribe to the newsletter
In this month's issue:
- We have a new look! (the PDF version of our newsletter has a fresh new look)
- From the hospital to long-term care: Protecting vulnerable patients during handoffs
- in the NEWS...Future devices for U-500 insulin.
- Worth repeating...Changes with heparin labels
- DoubleTrouble: Nuedexta-Neulasta mix-ups
- Safety wire: 3,100 patients notified of pen reuse.
- CE credit now available
- One hour of free Nursing CE credit covering the January - June 2014 issues is available at: www.ismp.org/nursingce.
- ISMP Annual Fund
- The healthcare community would be very different without ISMP's existence over that last 20 years. (For a list of ISMP's many important contributions to safety, please visit: www.ismp.org/about/timeline.asp.) We depend on the caring individuals and organizations that passionately support our work. Your charitable donation to the Annual Fund will help keep ISMP an important part of the fight against preventable medication errors.
- To make a donation, go to: www.ismp.org/support.
- Unique 2-day program
- Attend ISMP's Medication Safety INTENSIVE workshop in Nashville, TN on October 2-3. This workshop provides hands-on experiences with event investigation, risk analysis, error-reduction strategies, action planning, Just Culture, and more!
- For details, visit: www.ismp.org/sc?id=351.
Nurse Advise-ERR® is offered free in 2014 to nurses who work in US acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, community health clinics, surgical centers, and birthing centers; and faculty at academic settings to allow for free redistributions to student thanks to educational grants from Baxter Healthcare and BD. We encourage you to designate a primary subscriber in your organization who then redistributes it to as many nurses as possible in your healthcare system.
Back issues of the newsletter are available at: www.ismp.org/Newsletters/nursing/archive.asp.
NOTE: To open, read, and print the PDF file, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. If you do not have the Reader, or you need to update it, click on this link (www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html) for a free download.
ATTENTION CANADIAN NURSES: ISMP Canada is pleased to distribute this newsletter to Canadian nurses. Please subscribe via this link: https://www.ismp-canada.org/advise-err.htm.