Welcome to the ISMP Medication Safety Alert! Nurse Advise-ERR, a medication safety newsletter designed specifically to meet the needs of nurses who transcribe medication orders, administer medications, and monitor the effects of medications on patients. This monthly, two-four page newsletter will be offered FREE in 2014 to acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, community health clinics, surgical centers, and birthing centers, and to faculty at academic settings thanks to restricted grants from Baxter Healthcare and BD. Those who work in other settings can still purchase an individual subscription for $15 or a reduced-rate organizational subscription for $50. Regular features include detailed anonymous accounts of reported errors, checklists of evidence-based error reduction strategies, and short 'safety wires' that offer quick tips regarding safe medication practices. Free CEUs are available in July and January.
Click here to subscribe to the newsletter
- Update on implementation of the new ENFit enteral connectors
- Guidelines for adult IV push medications (www.ismp.org/sc?id=563)
- 18th Annual ISMP Cheers Awards (www.ismp.org/Cheers/)
- "TXA" mistaken as tenecteplase!
- Seasonale or seasonal?
- Patches and suicide risk.
- ISMP webinar
- August 27: Managing Human Error, At-Risk Behavior, and Reckless Behavior in a Just Culture
- For details, visit: www.ismp.org/sc?id=349.
- Unique 2-day program
- Attend one of the ISMP Medication Safety INTENSIVE workshops being held in 2015: Bellevue, WA (near Seattle) on September 17-18; and New Orleans on December 4-5. This workshop provides hands on experiences with event investigation, error analysis, error-reduction strategies, and more!
- For details, visit: www.ismp.org/educational/MSI.
- Annual Fund
- Medication safety would be very different today without ISMP's advocacy efforts, which have led to hundreds of positive product and practice changes. ISMP recently launched its 2015 Annual Fund drive; please consider contributing to support the Institute in its fight against preventable medication errors.
- For more information or to make a donation, go to: www.ismp.org/support.
Nurse Advise-ERR® is offered free in 2014 to nurses who work in US acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, community health clinics, surgical centers, and birthing centers; and faculty at academic settings to allow for free redistribution to students, thanks to educational grants from Baxter Healthcare and BD. We encourage you to designate a primary subscriber in your organization who then redistributes it to as many nurses as possible in your healthcare system.
Back issues of the newsletter are available at: http://www.ismp.org/Newsletters/nursing/archive.aspx.
NOTE: To open, read, and print the PDF file, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. If you do not have the Reader, or you need to update it, click on this link (www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html) for a free download.
ATTENTION CANADIAN NURSES: ISMP Canada is pleased to distribute this newsletter to Canadian nurses. Please subscribe via this link: https://www.ismp-canada.org/advise-err.htm.