Welcome to the ISMP Medication Safety Alert! Nurse Advise-ERR, a medication safety newsletter designed specifically to meet the needs of nurses who transcribe medication orders, administer medications, and monitor the effects of medications on patients. This monthly, two-four page newsletter will be offered FREE in 2016 to acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, community health clinics, surgical centers, and birthing centers, and to faculty at academic settings thanks to restricted grants from Baxter, Novartis, and Fresenius Kabi. Those who work in other settings can still purchase an individual subscription for $15 or a reduced-rate organizational subscription for $50. Regular features include detailed anonymous accounts of reported errors, checklists of evidence-based error reduction strategies, and short 'safety wires' that offer quick tips regarding safe medication practices. Free CEUs are available in July and January.
Click here to subscribe to the newsletter
In this month's issue:
- Accidental IV infusion of heparinized irrigation in the operating room
- Potential issues with new basal insulin/GLP-1 fixed combinations: New safety challenges?
- Plunger interferes with ability to read vaccine labels
- Scanning difficult through IV bag overwrap.
- Powdered surgical gloves.
- Don't forget to take our survey on verbal orders.
- Now accepting applications for ISMP and FDA/ISMP Fellowships
- Don't miss out on 2017 workshops
- 2017 Medication Safety Intensive (MSI) dates:
- March 23-24: Austin, TX
- September 21-22: Hackensack, NJ
- December 1-2: Orlando, FL
- For information and registration, please visit: www.ismp.org/sc?id=637.
- Practitioner in Residence program
- Spend a one-week rotation at ISMP's office in suburban Philadelphia, PA.
- Next program: April 3-7, 2017
- Call 215-947-7797 for more information.
- ISMP webinars: Adopt Best Practices
- February 23: Medication Safety Success Stories: Implementation of ISMP's Targeted Medication Safety Best Practices
- March 28: Implementation of Best Practices for Safer Insulin Pen Use: Stories from the Frontline
- For details, go to: www.ismp.org/sc?id=349.
- AONE 2017 Annual Meeting - Breakfast Symposium
- March 31, 2017: 7:00 AM - 8:00 AM
- Changing the Safety Paradigm on IV Medication Use: Recognizing the Risk and Taking Action
- To register, please go to: www.ProCE.com/AONE17
Nurse Advise-ERR® is offered free in 2016 to nurses who work in US acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, community health clinics, surgical centers, and birthing centers; and faculty at academic settings to allow for free redistribution to students, thanks to educational grants from Baxter, Novartis, and Fresenius Kabi.
Back issues of the newsletter are available at: http://www.ismp.org/Newsletters/nursing/archive.aspx.
NOTE: To open, read, and print the PDF file, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. If you do not have the Reader, or you need to update it, click on this link (www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html) for a free download.
ATTENTION CANADIAN NURSES: ISMP Canada is pleased to distribute this newsletter to Canadian nurses. Please subscribe via this link: https://www.ismp-canada.org/advise-err.htm.