Welcome to the ISMP Medication Safety Alert! Nurse Advise-ERR, a medication safety newsletter designed specifically to meet the needs of nurses who transcribe medication orders, administer medications, and monitor the effects of medications on patients. This monthly, two-four page newsletter will be offered FREE in 2014 to acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, community health clinics, surgical centers, and birthing centers, and to faculty at academic settings thanks to restricted grants from Baxter Healthcare and BD. Those who work in other settings can still purchase an individual subscription for $15 or a reduced-rate organizational subscription for $50. Regular features include detailed anonymous accounts of reported errors, checklists of evidence-based error reduction strategies, and short 'safety wires' that offer quick tips regarding safe medication practices. Free CEUs are available in July and January.
Click here to subscribe to the newsletter
In this month's issue:
- Unverified patient-reported error: A false alarm can have real consequences
- HazardAlert: Demonstration (training) IV solutions administered to patients
- We need your input! (Comment on IV push best practices draft statements by February 27, 2015 - go to: www.ismp.org/sc?id=475)
- Confusion between Naropin for epidural infusion and Ofirmev IV.
- PACU ADC selection error.
- Lot number, not expiration date.
- ISMP webinar
- March 19: Evolution of anticoagulants and the effects on patient safety
- For details, visit: www.ismp.org/sc?id=476.
- 1-week "rotation" at ISMP
- We have room for a few more participants in our weeklong ISMP Practitioner in Residence Program on March 2-6 at ISMP's office near Philadelphia, PA. The program provides health professionals with a unique opportunity to learn while working closely with ISMP staff.
- For details, visit: www.ismp.org/sc?id=477.
- Unique 2-day program
- Attend one of the ISMP Medication Safety INTENSIVE workshops being held in 2015: Indianapolis on April 16-17; Bellevue (near Seattle) on September 17-18; and New Orleans on December 4-5. This workshop provides hands-on experiences with risk assessment, event investigation, error analysis, error-reduction strategies, and more! Special pricing is available before February 15!
- For details, visit: www.ismp.org/educational/MSI.
- ISMP Fellowships
- Apply for the ISMP Medication Management Fellowship Programs. Applications for the 2015-2016 fellowships are due March 31, 2015.
- For details, visit: www.ismp.org/sc?id=484.
Nurse Advise-ERR® is offered free in 2014 to nurses who work in US acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, community health clinics, surgical centers, and birthing centers; and faculty at academic settings to allow for free redistribution to students, thanks to educational grants from Baxter Healthcare and BD. We encourage you to designate a primary subscriber in your organization who then redistributes it to as many nurses as possible in your healthcare system.
Back issues of the newsletter are available at: http://www.ismp.org/Newsletters/nursing/archive.aspx.
NOTE: To open, read, and print the PDF file, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. If you do not have the Reader, or you need to update it, click on this link (www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html) for a free download.
ATTENTION CANADIAN NURSES: ISMP Canada is pleased to distribute this newsletter to Canadian nurses. Please subscribe via this link: https://www.ismp-canada.org/advise-err.htm.