Welcome to the ISMP Medication Safety Alert! Nurse Advise-ERR, a medication safety newsletter designed specifically to meet the needs of nurses who transcribe medication orders, administer medications, and monitor the effects of medications on patients. This monthly, two-four page newsletter will be offered FREE in 2013 to acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, community health clinics, surgical centers, and birthing centers, and to faculty at academic settings thanks to restricted grants from Baxter Healthcare and BD. Those who work in other settings can still purchase an individual subscription for $15 or a reduced-rate organizational subscription for $50. Regular features include detailed anonymous accounts of reported errors, checklists of evidence-based error reduction strategies, and short 'safety wires' that offer quick tips regarding safe medication practices. Free CEUs are available in July and January.
Click here to subscribe to the newsletter
Volume 12, Issue 2
- Mistaken Identity: Will the real EPINEPHrine please step forward
- In utero medication administration to fetus presents unique safety challenges
- "Patient friendly" service or danger up ahead
- Influenza vaccine-shake well!
- Avandia, not Coumadin.
- Reduce Ambien dose in order sets.
- ISMP webinars.
- Join us for our February 26 webinar, Reducing Hospital Readmissions: Successful Staff Intervention Strategies at Discharge. Learn firsthand how two organizations have used creative solutions to effectively decrease hospital readmissions.
- Join us on March 27 for our webinar, Addressing Safety Challenges with U-500 Insulin (And did you know U-200 and U-300 insulin products are now on the way?). Learn about common errors with U-500 insulin and how to prevent them. Also, share in the discussion of two new insulin concentrations in clinical trials, and assess their benefits and risks compared to U-100 and U-500 insulin.
- For details on both webinars, visit: www.ismp.org/educational/webinars.asp.
- Three 2014-2015 Fellowships: applications now being accepted. (www.ismp.org/profdevelopment/)
Nurse Advise-ERR® is offered free in 2013 to nurses who work in US acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, community health clinics, surgical centers, and birthing centers; and faculty at academic settings to allow for free redistributions to student thanks to educational grants from Baxter Healthcare and BD. We encourage you to designate a primary subscriber in your organization who then redistributes it to as many nurses as possible in your healthcare system.
Back issues of the newsletter are available at: www.ismp.org/Newsletters/nursing/archive.asp.
NOTE: To open, read, and print the PDF file, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. If you do not have the Reader, or you need to update it, click on this link (www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html) for a free download.
ATTENTION CANADIAN NURSES: ISMP Canada is pleased to distribute this newsletter to Canadian nurses. Please subscribe via this link: https://www.ismp-canada.org/advise-err.htm.