Welcome to the ISMP Medication Safety Alert! Nurse Advise-ERR, a medication safety newsletter designed specifically to meet the needs of nurses who transcribe medication orders, administer medications, and monitor the effects of medications on patients. This monthly, two-four page newsletter will be offered FREE in 2014 to acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, community health clinics, surgical centers, and birthing centers, and to faculty at academic settings thanks to restricted grants from Baxter Healthcare and BD. Those who work in other settings can still purchase an individual subscription for $15 or a reduced-rate organizational subscription for $50. Regular features include detailed anonymous accounts of reported errors, checklists of evidence-based error reduction strategies, and short 'safety wires' that offer quick tips regarding safe medication practices. Free CEUs are available in July and January.
Click here to subscribe to the newsletter
In this month's issue:
- Strengthen your resolve: No unlabeled containers anywhere, ever!
- Worth repeating... Water for inhalation confused as IV solution
- VARZIG dilution problems reported
- Glucagon label contributes to confusion
- ISMP 2015-2016 Safe Medication Management Fellowships: applications now being accepted (www.ismp.org/profdevelopment/)
- ISMP webinars
- January 28: Strategies to Prevent Cancer Chemotherapy Errors: Focus on Oral Agents
- February 10: Practical Approaches to Improving Medication Safety in the Perioperative Setting
- March 19: Evolution of Anticoagulants and the Effects on Patient Safety
- For details, visit: www.ismp.org/educational/webinars.asp.
- 1-week "Rotation" at ISMP
- We have room for a few more participants in our weeklong ISMP Practitioner in Residence Program on March 2 - 6, 2015, at ISMP's office in suburban Philadelphia, PA. The rigorous program provides healthcare professionals who have medication safety responsibilities with a unique opportunity to work closely with ISMP staff using our proprietary conceptual model for identifying and controlling medication risks. This can help organizations develop a comprehensive strategic plan for medication safety
- For details, visit: www.ismp.org/consult/practitioner.asp.
Nurse Advise-ERR® is offered free in 2014 to nurses who work in US acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, community health clinics, surgical centers, and birthing centers; and faculty at academic settings to allow for free redistribution to students, thanks to educational grants from Baxter Healthcare and BD. We encourage you to designate a primary subscriber in your organization who then redistributes it to as many nurses as possible in your healthcare system.
Back issues of the newsletter are available at: http://www.ismp.org/Newsletters/nursing/archive.aspx.
NOTE: To open, read, and print the PDF file, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. If you do not have the Reader, or you need to update it, click on this link (www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html) for a free download.
ATTENTION CANADIAN NURSES: ISMP Canada is pleased to distribute this newsletter to Canadian nurses. Please subscribe via this link: https://www.ismp-canada.org/advise-err.htm.