Welcome to the ISMP Medication Safety Alert! Nurse Advise-ERR, a medication safety newsletter designed specifically to meet the needs of nurses who transcribe medication orders, administer medications, and monitor the effects of medications on patients. This monthly, two-four page newsletter will be offered FREE in 2014 to acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, community health clinics, surgical centers, and birthing centers, and to faculty at academic settings thanks to restricted grants from Baxter Healthcare and BD. Those who work in other settings can still purchase an individual subscription for $15 or a reduced-rate organizational subscription for $50. Regular features include detailed anonymous accounts of reported errors, checklists of evidence-based error reduction strategies, and short 'safety wires' that offer quick tips regarding safe medication practices. Free CEUs are available in July and January.
Click here to subscribe to the newsletter
In this month's issue:
- Part 2: Analysis of ISMP Vaccine Errors Reporting Program (VERP) - Recommendations for practitioners to prevent vaccine errors
- Final Survey about 2014-2015 Targeted Best Practices (www.surveymonkey.com/r/TMSBP2015)
- Feeding tube connector changeover delayed again.
- No need for line numbering. (confusion from numbering lines on orders)
- PCA basal infusion overdose.
- Join us in celebrating Healthcare Risk Management Week: June 15-19, 2015
- ISMP webinars
- June 24: 2015 Update on The Joint Commission Medication-Related Standards
- July 30: Missed Safety Opportunities with Subcutaneous insulin: Addressing the Often Unknown Safety Challenges with Insulin
- For details, visit: www.ismp.org/sc?id=349.
Nurse Advise-ERR® is offered free in 2014 to nurses who work in US acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, community health clinics, surgical centers, and birthing centers; and faculty at academic settings to allow for free redistribution to students, thanks to educational grants from Baxter Healthcare and BD. We encourage you to designate a primary subscriber in your organization who then redistributes it to as many nurses as possible in your healthcare system.
Back issues of the newsletter are available at: http://www.ismp.org/Newsletters/nursing/archive.aspx.
NOTE: To open, read, and print the PDF file, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. If you do not have the Reader, or you need to update it, click on this link (www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html) for a free download.
ATTENTION CANADIAN NURSES: ISMP Canada is pleased to distribute this newsletter to Canadian nurses. Please subscribe via this link: https://www.ismp-canada.org/advise-err.htm.