ALWAYS KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU PUT IN
Many people have mistaken one drug for another or one liquid
for another, swallowed the wrong thing, and suffered or died
as a result. That's why it's so important for everyone to
look carefully at medication labels, know exactly what is
in a medication or drinking cup, and always know exactly what
you're putting in your mouth - before swallowing anything
This is illustrated clearly by the story of a recent hospital
patient who thought she was drinking juice but mistakenly
drank instead a cup of Zenker's Solution - a highly toxic
liquid left at her bedside by a physician to preserve tissue
after minor bedside surgery. However, the procedure was cancelled.
Unfortunately, in this instance a patient died because of
human mistakes - the physician's mistake in leaving the cup
by the bed and her own mistake in not being completely sure
what the cup contained before drinking it.
All human beings make mistakes, even health care professionals.
Therefore, don't make tragic and mistaken assumptions that
can cost your life. Know exactly what medication you're taking
and what it's intended to do. Also, know exactly what you're
swallowing. If there is any doubt, read labels and/or ask
your health professional to help. If you don't know for sure
what's in a prescription bottle, medicine cup, or drinking
cup, don't swallow it.
Institute for Safe Medication Practices