A mother brought her child to the emergency room to get a
suppository removed. Now, ordinarily, suppositories are inserted
into the rectum, and they dissolve there. This is a convenient
way to give medications to people who are feeling too sick
to take anything by mouth. The problem in this situation was
that the mother did not know that the foil wrapper on the
suppository had to be removed before inserting it.
This is not the first time we've heard of this, but we wish
it were the last. We have also heard of patients who mistakenly
ate suppositories, peeling away the wrapper like a banana.
Be aware that suppositories are for rectal use only and that
the wrappers must be removed first. Even though suppositories
are not meant to be eaten, it usually isn't harmful if someone
does, but the medication will probably not work as well.
Institute for Safe Medication Practices