Kidproofing your home against accidental
If you think that you have totally kid-proofed your home,
think again. Some common household items and medications are
surprisingly dangerous. Of the calls to poison control centers,
9% are due to exposures to personal care products. For example,
children often eat toothpaste containing fluoride, and in
small quantities, a normal, healthy child will usually have
no problem other than some stomach upset. But if a child eats
a few mouthfuls, he could have much more serious problems.
Toothpastes today taste good, and there are lots of new flavors
just for kids.
Another surprising danger is automatic dishwasher detergent.
This is much more dangerous than hand dishwashing liquid,
which is just watered down soap. Think about it: automatic
dishwasher detergent can clean your dishes without you scrubbing
them. That requires pretty strong stuff. If a child swallows
a mouthful of any of these detergents--with the new fragrances,
like lemon, they actually taste pretty good--he could suffer
burns in his throat.
The lesson here is to keep everything out of reach of kids
under the age of five. That's the age group that is most likely
to be poisoned at home. And if your little one does get into
something, or if you think that he might have gotten into
something, stay calm, and call the regional poison control
Institute for Safe Medication Practices