Doggy drops in your child's ear?
A dog's medicine in your child's ear? Who would ever make
that mistake? Well, people do. A father told the babysitter
to put in his son's ear drops before bed, and the careful
babysitter did. She found ear drops labeled "put two drops
in right ear" in the cabinet and did so, but the family's
dog also had a bottle of ear drops, which were the drops the
babysitter used. The son's ear drops were in the refrigerator.
Luckily, nothing happened to the child. However, mixups with
pets' and children's medications do occur, especially when
all medications are stored together. Keep pet products (medicines,
food, etc.) stored away from human products. And if you ask
your babysitters to give medicine to your kids, be sure to
show them where the medicine is and how much to give--don't
just tell them.
Institute for Safe Medication Practices